A Clean Space Is a Happy Space
Are you a pack rat? Do you still have your designer jeans that haven’t fit since 2001? Do you have boxes of VHS tapes in your garage? You’re not alone. Decluttering your space is a challenge for many people, but it’s important to rise to the occasion.
Decluttering is especially important if you’re planning to move. You don’t want to move unnecessary items to your new space. According to a study published by researchers at the Princeton University Neuroscience Institute, physical clutter negatively affects your ability to focus and process information. Follow the helpful tips below to learn how to clear your space—and your mind.
- Set aside five minutes. Choose one of Leo Babauta at Zen Habits’ recommended 18 Five-Minute Decluttering Tips for a quick, simple starting point.
- Share the wealth. If you no longer have a need for items, but they’re in good condition and would be useful to someone else, give them away! Many charities will pick up your items, especially if you’re donating furniture or many boxes.
- Harness your CHE (Closet Hanger Experiment). Hang your clothes in the reverse direction, placing it back to its normal direction once you wear it. After six months, see how many items are still in the reverse direction to get a clear picture of how often you wear those clothes.
- Try the Four-Box Method. Sort your belonging into four boxes: one for trash, one to give away, one to keep, and one to relocate. Consider each item carefully and stick to your decisions.
- One bag at a time. The 40 Bags in 40 Days Challenge has you declutter one area every day, for 40 days. The 2016 challenge officially runs through Saturday, March 26 (with Sundays off), so you can start now!
Decluttering and deciding what to keep is an important part of moving. Now that you’ve downsized your belongings, let the professionals move them to your new home: contact Molloy Brothers today.