Are you considering moving to Connecticut? The third smallest state in the United States, Connecticut features rural areas and quaint New England towns in addition to its industrious cities. Recently ranked the third healthiest state in the nation, Connecticut is home to noteworthy figures such as Katharine Hepburn, Meryl Streep, The Carpenters singing group and Mark Twain. Learn more about life in Connecticut, including local schools, weather and things to do and see.
Year Founded: 1788
Population as of 2015: 3.6 million
Land Area (sq. miles): 4,845
Median Age: 40
Median Household Income: $70,048
Median Home Price: $267,200
Annual Weather Averages:
- High Temperature: 64° Fahrenheit
- Low Temperature: 36° Fahrenheit
- Rainfall: 58 inches
- Snowfall: 51 inches
Notable Employment Facts: Finance, retail and healthcare have seen positive growth.
Major Employers: Stop & Shop, Walmart, Hartford Financial Services Group, Aetna Inc., Hartford Hospital, Bank of America.
- Connecticut Schools at a Glance:
- 1,152 public schools serving 546,020 students
- 455 private schools serving 72,739 students
- Popular Universities and Colleges in Connecticut:
Largest City in the State: Bridgeport, with a population of 144,000.
Local Radio Stations:
- WEZN (99.9 FM) Hot Adult Contemporary
- WRCH (100.5 FM) Adult Contemporary
- WKCI (100.9 FM) Top 40 Radio
- WNPR (102.5 FM) Public Radio
Public Transit: Connecticut Transit (Bus), CTFastrak (Bus), Metro-North Railroad, the Rocky Hill–Glastonbury Ferry and Chester–Hadlyme Ferry provide service across the Connecticut River and the Bridgeport. The Port Jefferson Ferry provides service across the Long Island Sound. Amtrak’s Acela line runs through the state at Hartford and Stamford, connecting NYC with Boston and Providence.
Parks, Beaches and Other Recreation:
- Connecticut is certainly not short on parks. Avid campers should check out Black State Park, Devil’s Hopyard State Park or Hammonasset Beach State Park. For water activities such as fishing, swimming, canoeing and kayaking, visit Burr Pond State Park near Torrington.
- Ocean Beach Park offers the option of swimming in the ocean (obviously!), as well as an Olympic-size swimming pool with a triple water slide and a splash park for kids under 8. This park is rated one of the best beaches by National Geographic. Take a trip to DuBois Beach for a quieter getaway, where you’ll enjoy scenic and intimate spots, as well as cafes and shops. Or cast a line, have a picnic or play with your kids in the sandbox at Short Beach Park near Stratford.
- Yes, you can ski in Connecticut. Visit Mohawk Mountain, for downhill skiing and snowboarding. Or go snow biking down the hills of Power Ridge Mountain Park Resort.
- Interested in living on the edge in a little bit safer way? Test your luck at the slots or gaming tables at Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun
Rich and Vibrant Arts and Culture:
- Concert venue Infinity Music Hall and Bistro hosts a variety of musical performances and special events. Voted as Hartford’s “Best Concert Venue” in 2015 and 2016, patrons can also enjoy the venue’s bistro or four-star restaurant. For a classical musical experience, visit the renowned Yale School of Music.
- The Museum of Connecticut History is a must-see for those interested in state and early American history.
- A National Trust Historic Site, The Glass House is a unique venue to experience modern architecture, landscape and art.
- The Connecticut Beer Trail is the ultimate experience for beer lovers. Enjoy bus tours, special beer and brewery events with several local breweries. Wine connoisseurs will be pleasantly surprised at the depth and variety available at the vineyards that dot the state.
- Blue Back Square is a the downtown shopping destination in West Hartford complete with high-end restaurant options and entertainment choices. For the shopaholics who love a great deal, visit the outlet store meccas Clinton Crossing or Tanger Outlets.
Moving to or from Connecticut and need for a reliable moving company? With more than half a million moves in 70 years, Molloy Bros. Moving & Storage has the experience unmatched by any other Connecticut moving company. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation moving quote.