Are you considering moving to Nassau County, New York? Lush with farmland and miles of shoreline along the Atlantic Ocean and Long Island Sound, Nassau County was dubbed the “Gold Coast” in the 20th century. Many wealthy New Yorkers such as Solomon Guggenheim and the Vanderbilts and their estates at Sands Point served as the inspiration for F. Scott Fitzgerald’s fictional East Egg in The Great Gatsby. The area boasts several homegrown stars, from Billy Joel and SNL’s Kate McKinnon to Alicia Keys, Natalie Portman and Jerry Seinfeld. With its close proximity to NYC, Nassau County is the ideal location for those looking to commute to the city but live on Long Island. Learn more about Nassau County, including local schools, beaches and things to see and do.
Year Founded: 1899
Population as of 2015: 1,400,000
Land Area (sq. miles): 285
Median Age: 41
Median Household Income: $99,035
Median Home Price: $443,200
Annual Weather Averages:
- High Temperature: 70° Fahrenheit
- Low Temperature: 43° Fahrenheit
- Rainfall: 48 inches
- Snowfall: 23 inches
Notable Employment Facts: Manufacturing, healthcare, software development and entertainment have seen positive growth.
Major Employers: August Thomsen Corp., Henry Schein, Canon U.S.A., Mil-Spec Industries and Mill-Max Manufacturing Corp.
- Nassau County Schools:
- 315 public schools serving 205,238 students
- 33 preK schools serving 18,278 students
- 208 elementary schools serving 97,563 students
- 54 middle schools serving 41,317 students
- 61 high schools serving 70,858 students
- 146 private schools serving 40,286 students
- 315 public schools serving 205,238 students
- Universities and Colleges in Nassau County:
Nearest Major City: Approximately 35 miles to NYC.
Local Radio Stations:
- WPKN (89.5) Public Radio
- WALK (97.5 FM) Hot Adult Contemporary
- WKCI (101.3 FM) Top 40 Radio
- WBAB (102.3 FM) Classic Rock
- WBLI (106.1 FM) Top 40 Radio
Public Transit: Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE) bus, Long Island Rail Road
Parks, Beaches and Other Recreation:
- Nassau County is plush with many different parks. Here are a few popular options to begin to fulfill your outdoorsy needs. The two-acre Centennial Park features 12 basketball courts, two tennis courts, eight swingsets, plus paddleball and handball courts. At Cantiague Park, you can enjoy ice skating in an indoor facility, swimming in an outdoor pool and bocce and shuffleboard courts. Another must-visit park? Check out Cedar Creek Park, where your dog can roam free in the dog run and where you can walk, jog or bicycle along one of the many paved paths.
- Long Island is known for its beaches, and Nassau County is home to some of the most popular beach destinations in the New York metro area. With beautiful sandy beaches, surfing, beach volleyball and a popular boardwalk, a trip to Long Beach is must in the summer. Jones Beach is more than 6 miles of gorgeous sandy beaches lining the Atlantic, where you can beach activities such as swimming, paddleboarding and fishing. The Nikon at Jones Beach Theater hosts many shows during the warmer months.
- Lover of golf? With seven courses, two mini courses and three driving ranges, people of all different skill levels can find their ideal course in Nassau County. For a variety of courses, check out the Bethpage Golf Course, where you can choose to play the Green, Black, Red or Yellow course. Have a low handicap? Opt for the Black course, which has one of the Northeast’s highest slope ratings and is the host of the U.S. Open Championships. Or, the Red, White and Blue Courses found in Eisenhower Park are famous for impeccable designs created by Devereux Emmet, a prominent golf course designer, in 1914.
Rich and Vibrant Arts and Culture:
- Belmont Racetrack is one of the oldest tracks in the country and home to the third tournament of the famous Triple Crown of thoroughbred racing. A popular event among New Yorkers, kids and adults can both enjoy a day of horse racing, fine dining, pony rides and a petting zoo.
- Tackapausha Museum offers visitors an in-depth look at the natural history of Long Island, with live exhibits of different animals such as porcupines, birds of prey, reptiles and rabbits.
- Sagamore Hill, a National Park site, is the former home of Teddy Roosevelt. He grew up in New York City, but in adulthood and after his presidency, spent his time in the Oyster Bay area. Recently refurbished, the home offers a glimpse into the rigorous life of America’s “Walk softly, but carry a big stick” president.
- Sands Point Museum and Preserve allows visitors to tour the trails and three castle-like homes on the property that surround Long Island Sound. Here, you will learn about the history of Long Island and the influential people who lived here during the Gold Coast era.
- Old Westbury Gardens, the former home of John S. Phipps, is a registered historic site with more than 200 acres of gardens, which hosts concerts, book signings and horticultural demonstrations.
- Americana Manhasset, also known as the “Miracle Mile,” is a shopping destination with more than 60 boutiques such as Tiffany & Co., Louis Vuitton, Christian Dior, Fendi and Coach. Billy Joel pays homage to it in his song “It’s Still Rock and Roll to Me.” For a more traditional mall experience, navigate over to Roosevelt Field Mall, on the former site of the airfield where Charles Lindbergh took off for his trans-Atlantic journey.
Moving to Nassau County and searching for a reliable moving company? With more than 500,000 moves over seven decades in the Long Island area, Molloy Bros. has the experience unmatched by any other New York moving company. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation moving quote.
Nassau County Locations:
- Albertson, NY Movers
- Atlantic Beach, NY
- Bellmore, NY Movers
- East Meadow, NY Movers
- Floral Park, NY Movers
- Garden City, NY Movers
- Glen Cove, NY
- Glen Head, NY Movers
- Hicksville, NY Movers
- Huntington, NY Movers
- Jericho, NY Movers
- Lawrence, NY Movers
- Levittown, NY Movers
- Locust Valley, NY Movers
- Long Beach, NY
- Manhasset, NY Movers
- Massapequa, NY Movers
- Merrick, NY Movers
- New Hyde Park, NY Movers
- Oceanside, NY Movers
- Oyster Bay, NY Movers
- Plainview, NY Movers
- Point Lookout, NY Movers
- Port Washington, NY
- Rockville Centre, NY Movers