Are you considering moving to Westchester County, New York? Centrally located, Westchester County is a commuter’s dream because it’s close to New York City, Long Island, western Connecticut and north New Jersey. Considered by some NYC residents to be the start of “Upstate New York,” Westchester County is rich in the arts, American history and culture. The county’s rolling hills and placement between the Long Island Sound and Hudson River mean one doesn’t have to go far to enjoy nature trails, beaches or hiking. Learn more about Westchester County, including local schools, its history and things to see and do.
Year Founded: 1683
Population as of 2015: 972,634
Land Area (sq. miles): 430
Median Age: 40
Median Household Income: $83,477
Median Home Price: $501,100
Annual Weather Averages:
- High Temperature: 70° Fahrenheit
- Low Temperature: 40° Fahrenheit
- Rainfall: 49 inches
- Snowfall: 27 inches
Notable Employment Facts: Hospitality, healthcare, biotech, medtech and retail have seen positive growth.
Major Employers: The Container Store, Regeneron, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, REI, Whole Foods, Acorda Therapeutics, Progenics Pharmaceuticals, Curemark, ContraFect.
- Westchester County Schools:
- 253 public schools serving 150,963 students
- 43 preK schools serving 25,014 students
- 155 elementary schools 76,958 serving students
- 61 middle schools serving 34,789 students
- 66 high schools serving 50,292 students
- 123 private schools serving 28,948 students
- 253 public schools serving 150,963 students
- Universities and Colleges within 15 miles of Westchester County:
Nearest Major City: Approximately 35 miles to NYC.
Local Radio Stations:
- WPKN (89.5) Public Radio
- WPLJ (95.5 FM) Hot Adult Contemporary
- Z100 (100.3 FM) Top 40 Radio
- WKCI (101.3 FM) Top 40 Radio
- WPDH (101.5 FM) Classic Rock
- WCBS (101.1 FM) Classic Hits
Public Transit: Bee-Line Bus System, MTA bus, NY Waterway ferry, Amtrak rail, Metro-North Railroad
Parks, Beaches and Other Recreation:
- With 50 county parks in Westchester, there is plenty of acreage for those who love to be outdoors. For playgrounds, baseball fields and gorgeous views of the Croton Dam, take a trip to Croton Gorge Park. For water activities, visit Glen Island Park for sailing, canoeing, kayaking and windsurfing. For breathtaking views, explore the grounds of George’s Island Park, which is surrounded by the Hudson River.
- At Playland Beach, you can boogie board in the Long Island Sound or jump in the pool. Plus, with the extra activities found here, such as an amusement park, concerts and a playground, there’s something to keep everyone occupied during the long days of summer.
- Golfers have several choices in courses in the region: the par-71 course at Maple Moor Golf Course, the challenging straight and narrow course at Sprain Lake Golf Course and the amenities-filled option at the Trump National Westchester.
Rich and Vibrant Arts and Culture:
- The largest museum in Westchester County, the Hudson River Museum in Yonkers showcases the art, history and scientific achievements of the region. The museum also houses a planetarium and hosts STEM activities for children.
- Kykuit, also known as the John D. Rockefeller estate, is the 40-room mansion built by the Standard Oil tycoon in the early 1900s. Now protected by the National Trust, the interiors and grounds of this six-story stone house include priceless works of art by Pablo Picasso, Alexander Calder, and others.
- Neuberger Museum of Art in Purchase, NY, houses 20th century and contemporary art in the country’s 10th largest university museum. American art, African art, Dada and Surrealist art, Constructivist art and masterworks by European and Mecian masters are on display.
- The Big Brew NY Beer Festival, an annual event held in Tarrytown, NY, for beer lovers ages 21 and up, showcases more than 200 craft beers and ciders from the best breweries in the world, including Smuttynose, Oskar Blues and Einstok.
Relocating to Westchester County and searching for a reliable moving company? With more than half a million moves to its name, Molloy Bros. Moving & Storage has experience unmatched by any other Westchester County-area moving company. Contact us today for a free moving quote.
Westchester County Locations:
- Amawalk, NY Movers
- Ardsley, NY Movers
- Armonk, NY Movers
- Bedford Hills, NY Movers
- Bedford, NY Movers
- Briarcliff Manor, NY Movers
- Bronxville, NY Movers
- Chappaqua, NY Movers
- Cortlandt, NY Movers
- Croton on Hudson, NY Movers
- Dobbs Ferry, NY Movers
- Eastchest, NY Movers
- Elmsford, NY Movers
- Goldens Bridge, NY Movers
- Harrison, NY Movers
- Hastings-on-Hudson, NY Movers
- Hawthorne, NY Movers
- Irvington, NY Movers
- Katonah, NY Movers
- Larchmont, NY Movers
- Mahopac, NY Movers
- Mamaroneck, NY Movers
- Millwood, NY Movers
- Monsey, NY Movers
- Mount Kisco, NY Movers